Sunday, February 15, 2009

"WAR Comes to Russia" or "the Second Coming of the Launch Day"


Wouldn't it be sweet if one wonderful event could come back to brighten your life? Well it can happen and it is not the Solstice - it is WAR's launch. And I'm proud to announce that I know how it feels. On February 5th WAR officially opened servers for Russian players. I was lucky to experience the "big day" and feel like a little kid ripping away at the box of presents on Xmas day! Cool steel boxes, complimenting the game inside, appeared on the shelves luring unsuspecting gamers into the RvR net.
I must say, I had doubts about WARs success in Russia as I didn't see the amount of advertisement the game deserves; I mean when Wrath was about to launch Arthas was all over, you had to either be living in a cave or be completely oblivious of everything game-associated. WAR never enjoyed such amount of publicity and I was in all seriousness afraid that there just wouldn't be enough players for the game to be played as it should be. Promotional events in shops just don't give the game the needed horde of fan-boys stooging around the shop the night before the game finally launches.
And I have never been so happy to be wrong! Joy to the world - WAR is doing just fine. Russia has greeted the game with traditional Russian hospitality. The servers assigned for Russian players a "high-high" already and if that keeps up, Mythic will have to open some new servers. I guess they have learned their lesson with opening to many, so it's better safe than sorry. The launch day itself went pretty smooth, thankfully the game did have some time to polish out the glitchy scratches. Ten days have passed since WAR arrived in the country of endless forests and no gold sellers in sight. It is either the Banhammer or the fact that gold sellers decided to spare the effort in a game where gold is not such a big deal. People seem to have taken to the RvR and are taking keeps like crazy; things are going good so far, I just hope that it won't change as soon as the free month is over. But at least there is no "this game sucks" or "WoW is waaay better - you can actually sit down" and that gives me some confidence.
Today I witnessed a queue on a core RvR server, a thing a haven't seen in a while. And, believe it or not, the queue was for Order. I'm not ready to declare the Order majority in Russia but still it is pretty unexpected. Oh how Russians love to good guys! What is even stranger Destruction seems to be very keen on PQs while Order sweeps the RvR lakes. I believe it is just the beginning stage of the game and things will come back to the state that we are so used to.
Of course Russia is not a major gaming country but it will provide a solid amount of customers for Mythic.

No comments:

Post a Comment