Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Farewell to WAR

WAR is over for me. I haven't been playing the game for a while and I don't really feel like logging in anymore. I' m not saying that the game sucks and it doesn't deserve the 300,000 player base, but it just stopped being as fun as it used to be. In my previous post I have already written about the game being "shallow" in that there is really nothing else to do but grind through sieges. I guess, there is some fun in the sieges but after a while it gets repetitive and boring. You just want to get it over with and that's it.

Warhammer does have its strong points. The fight mechanic is great and I really enjoyed the abilities of my Engy and Squig Herder. However I haven't been really getting into other classes to get the whole picture, but as far as my experience with the game goes, most of it is pretty decent. The problem is that if a game has a fun fight mechanic it should make the content fun for it to make sense.

What bugged me about WAR was the lack of some in-game ways of coordinating the war effort. Yes, there is the alliance chat and you can schedule the events but most of the planning goes on guild forums. It is not much of an issue to take part in the forum activity but you have to log off or alt/tab out of the game to do so. And sometimes you just want to hop in and actually play. Sometimes you just don't have the extra time to do the offline planning for the city siege (which is still the worst part of the game). An in-game tool for proper coordination would make a big difference.

Mythic has advertised Warhammer as a casual gamer friendly MMO. In reality it demands more involvement and time than most of other MMOs out there. Talk about meeting the expectations. And that is just the issue with this game. It didn't meet the enormous expectations that it had built up while under development. It was supposed to be the next big thing after WoW and it failed. Mostly because of the game being released to early and some of the exciting ideas like a massive city siege being implemented in a twisted way that no one wanted it to be. The devs must have thought that the crafting system was something original and fun to do, and in the official podcasts it was indeed portrayed as something awesome. In reality it turned out just the opposite. I'd rather just have it completely remade.

The final nail was the fact that none of my friends stayed in WAR. It may be the biggest argument in favour of letting the game go. But this issue is the result of the foregoing. The fact that I've got I guild that I enjoy in WoW makes me stick with it. Even though Blizzard refuses to give some consideration to the Mages. And it made the Wintergrasp dailies weekly. And it gives Druids new skins while the Mage is stuck with the crappy looking fireballs.

P.S. I'm still going to keep my eye on Warhammer Online. Who knows, maybe in a couple of months it'll turn out to be a hell of a game. It still has the potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment