Friday, May 29, 2009

The Secret MMO

Blizzard has allegedly stated that their new top-secret MMO is not going to be anything Starcraft related. I say allegedly because I heard and read so much rumours that a don't know what to believe. Even if some Blizzard guy would come up to me and say that to my face, I would still question it. I any case I am more in favour of the new MMO being a completely new IP. That makes things even more exciting. For me at least.

The problem with the Universe of Starcraft (or whatever) is that it is to narrow for Blizzard, and if they want to "kill WoW" with the new MMO, they have to make it so that everyone would be interested. Personally, I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, and even though I was pumped about the possible Starcraft MMO, I had (and have) my reservations about it. Dudes running around with swords appeal to me much more than marines with guns. Except the Zerg. Love me some bugs.

The MMOFPS is something people have been talking about recently. Despite the innovative tune to the genre, I don't think it is going to be it. Again, I just don't see Blizzard making an FPS, Valve maybe, but not Blizzard. I've been asking some people in my guild, and it turns out that most of us would still prefer it to be an RPG. But if the swords, spells and dragons with Lich Kings is a read book and Sci-Fi is to narrow, then what is left?

I know one thing, the current loot and gear system has got to go. You cannot expect people to keep doing the same old raiding, whining over loot and showing of the gear as a symbol of success in life. Please make it more skill oriented, Blizzard.




No comments:

Post a Comment