Saturday, May 2, 2009

Maging through PvP


When you get outdamaged by an equally-geared druid in heroics it really gets to you. How, why and WTF? You start thinking that either you stink or that there is definitely something wrong with the class. Personally I get discouraged. And what do you do when you're down in the dumps? Go to Lake Wintergrasp or BGs and kill some dudes there. PvP is the best thing for boosting your self-esteem.

Frost spec is meant for PvP. It is my favourite and you can surprise a warrior that is following you while you run away for your life waiting for the cooldowns to pass. And when they do - meet my elemental friend and watch your feet. The elemental is such a huge asset for a frost mage. The ranged frost nova and AoE are doing wonders for honorable kills. But of course there are some classes that make me cuss at the screen and kick my WoW-watching cat off the table.

Rogues. The arch nemesis of any cloth-wearing class. Death Knights and AoE-friendly content have done their job. There are fewer rogues. At least on the Alliance side. But the Forsaken are still being "original" and stick to rogues. Vanish, sapping, backstabbing - all that makes rogues deadly and extremely annoying to me personally. Rogues still roam BGs. And the fact that they aren't very viable in raids and Lake Wintergrasp makes them pissed and they take it out on mages in BGs. And they are vicious. Sometimes I get lucky and run into a careless rogue. I hear a stealth sound behind my back and "Blink! Ice Barrier! Frost Nova! "Do I dare to turn around?" Elemental! Triplify! and Ice Block!". And when I manage to kill the unfortunate rogue I get happy as a little kid on Xmas. I don't even mind being hit on the noggin by a Death Knight at that moment.

Death Knights. The OP class, the Hunter of today and the blue-eyed hunk of unholy power plowing through our ranks. They do sick amounts of damage and their ghouls are a big pain in the butt for a caster. Even though the DKs are a bit OP I don't really mind their hard-hitting moves. At least you can see them coming at you. What really pops my baloons is Death Grip. I guess Blizzard decided to make DKs so awesome that they wouldn't even have to actually charge at anyone. They casually extend their hand and make the foe come to them. Special delivery for Mr D. Knight! When I'm standing in some cosy spot spamming Frostbolts, minding my own business, the last thing I want is to pop up in the middle of the enemy zerg. Which isn't as grave for an arcane mage. Instant vanish is such a nice thing to have. But I usually go in on Frost and enjoy the Ice Barrier. So when I see a dozen of red names around me the first instinct is Blink. Which doesn't really help a lot. I guess I should just do a /dance macro for just such an occasion. At least the Horde won't expect me bursting into dance.

Paladins. Seriously, my notion of a martial healer is a Warrior Priest kind of guy. Paladins in WoW are sick! Sicker than DK. They sap. They heal. They have their damn bubbles. Killing a Paladin is like killing a concrete slab. Instead of damage you see "Immune". Instead of "target is dead" you see a metrosexual stomping your head into the ground. Paladins shouldn't be more deadly than Warriors. It just doesn't make sense. All in all I feel content with where I am now in PvP. I'm scared of some classes and I'm intimidated by Paladins. But that is OK, PvP should be challenging. The only sad thing about it all is that some classes like Rogues, Mages and even Warriors are better off PvPing than running Instances. It seems that Paladins make better tanks than Warriors, Rouges don't really have to sap anyone in raids, just as Mages don't really sheep anyone these days. Neither do they do sufficient damage. But at least I get to do PvP and I enjoy me some good PvP. The only problem is that not everyone likes it. But everyone wants to have fun playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment