Monday, April 6, 2009

A bit about WoW

Two levels left to go until I hit 80 and will be free of leveling ... for a little bit. In any case my level 78 mage is running around Icecrown killing zombies and vikingish people. The land looks like Mordor on Xmas day. Why invent a new type of land when you can copy LOTR? Next thing you know, Arthas's only weakness will be the One Ring (or maybe the One Frostmourne). But I'm just ranting right now.
I'm really getting sick of crawling towards 80, but I am a man! I'll keep on going till I get to my ultimate goal (and then get to another one - epics; and then another - titles; and then another - collecting mounts; and then another - collecting pets; and then another - buying the next expansion to find all my in-game possessions to be obsolete). Actually I don't really see why people would submit themselves to so much punishment farming achievements. Bragging? Maybe. Personally I'm not a fan. I've seen better achievement systems (guess where). The only title I'd like to have is "Diplomat", so maybe I'll farm for that if I get around to it sometime. Despite my somewhat slighting attitude towards Achievements the fact that you have so much "mini-games" inside a game is a very prudent thing in the long run. It gives the player reason to stick around after hitting 80, there is so much you can do in WoW besides killing mobs or PvPing. And Blizzard has so many people hooked on the achievements which results in more money for the company. More money for new projects.
Blizzard will have another expansion for WoW. I have no idea what they will think of next. Maybe they will not let us kill Arthas in Wrath - so they wouldn't have to come up with a brand new villain. But won't that get really old by the 3d expansion? All I know is that I hope so much that they won't raise the level cap again. I'd be disappointed to the state that I'll just loose faith in Blizzard's creativity. And what the use of a company that can't come up with something so revolutionary that it would redefine MMOs? And if Blizzard may not be able to do it - I can't imagine who could. I'm being a bit pessimistic here, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment